Saturday, February 16, 2013

Sunday: February 12, 2012


This was supposed to be a good day.

The most strenuous item on the agenda was a simple Sunday supper of seared wild salmon, sauteed kale, roasted asparagus and Mary Lou's new favorite, risotto with truffle oil and chives.

It's her birthday weekend, and last night we celebrated with a wonderful dinner at Sarava, the Brazilian restaurant at Shaker Square.

Lepers made an appearance at Mass this morning. In Leviticus, the unclean are told to shave their heads and rend their garments and announce to the world they are diseased. I'm not into tearing my clothes, but I've gotten the other two things accomplished.

My good day, however, has been marred by the appearance of a new side effect -- neuropathy. Dr. Verma the oncologist had warned me this could happen. It started with a tingling in my left toes and foot, which then turned number. It has further developed into something painful.
 It began last night walking into the restaurant. I attributed whatever was happening to the extreme cold. The pain reappeared walking in and out of church this morning and then during a trip to Whole Foods. It reached a crescendo as I cooked dinner. I could not get the food on the table fast enough. 

Now, even as I sit resting in my recliner after dinner, the pain persists. It's a worrisome development.



No comments:

Post a Comment