Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Wednesday: January 16, 2013


A year ago today, I embarked on an adventure that I do not want to repeat.

On Jan. 16, 2012, I began treatment for lung cancer. Over the next four months, doctors dosed me with toxic drugs, zapped me with millions of volts of electricity, carved into my left leg and turned me into a pile of sickly goo.

They also got rid of the quarter-sized tumor in the upper lobe of my left lung. (A couple of lymph nodes also got their butts kicked. But I consider them a mere medical amuse-bouche.)

Today, I am cancer free. It is my hope that I remain so ... forever.

I kept a journal of 40,000-plus words for much of the journey. The entries dwindled as treatment weakened my body and soul,, a two-month period when only the barest shreds of dignity forced me to walk the required 30 feet from my recliner to the bathroom.

It’s my intention to publish much of that journal piecemeal here on this blog.. There's plenty to parcel out. I’ll edit it as best I can while maintaining the flavor of the particular time and place in which it was written.

I originally wrote the journal for The Plain Dealer of Cleveland, the newspaper I’ve worked for (mostly as a reporter) the last 23 years. That didn’t happen because editors did not like my story. I could say more about this, but it would not serve any real purpose.

After deliberating what to do with all these words, I've decided stick my story up on the Internet and hope someone finds it. There's not much else for me to do. And I do hope it’s found. Writers who say they write for themselves are liars.The narcissist in us demands that we lovingly present our prose to the rest of the universe.

I don’t know how my story compares to anyone else’s. I admit I’ve not read other cancer journals.  Too depressing. Cancer is such a shitty subject.

But my story is not about cancer. It’s about me.  It’s about a guy who, if God is willing, would like to figure some stuff out sooner than later. It’s about a guy who wants to do better. Publishing this journal is part of the process. Finishing what I start has never been a strong suit.

The story will be published chronologically with the occasional interlude and digression for current events, such as the results of an upcoming CAT scan.

And for those of you who might stumble across this journal, here is some background:  My name is Mark. I will be 54 in March. I live in Cleveland Heights, Ohio. I’m married to Mary Lou for 23 years and have two children, Sam, a college sophomore, and Hanna, a high school junior. In keeping with their (and my) wishes, I'll be trying to maintain their privacy as best I can without being completely obtuse.

I still work for the paper although that might not be for long as the owners take us in a new direction. I’m tall and of an appropriate weight. I recently shaved my head, which was a bit odd given that my hair had only grown back a few months ago. I like the ease of use a bald head provides.

I’m extremely fond of golf, poker, both of which I play reasonably well. My interest in the cinema seems to be increasing. I think I have a special knack for teaching and coaching baseball, although my son, who had to play on a number of my teams, might disagree.

I'm a deeply flawed individual. Some folks think I’m an asshole, an opinion that I've seemed to encourage over the years. I now realize that has been a less-than-honorable way to live my life. I possess a small but extremely loyal coterie of friends for whom I'm extremely grateful.

My hope is to post one or two journal entries on a regular basis until there’s nothing further to post. Given all the demands on people’s attention these days, I'll try my best to keep the posts as short as possible in the hope I can draw folks in and persuade them to follow along.

10 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, deleted that myself. What I meant to say was: Go get 'em, my friend.

      Delete
  2. I don't think you're an asshole, Mark. I think you're one of the bravest people I've ever met (although, technically, I haven't met you). Our mutual friend Connie Schultz posted a link to your blog on Facebook, and I clicked through to read it. I'm very glad I did. Survivors and underdogs are dear to my heart (I believe it may be an Irish thing, though very likely it's simply a human thing). Your story is one that should be told. Don't trouble yourself too much about the editor who didn't like your story. Decisions like your editor's are one of the reasons I (and many people of my acquaintance) have been moving away from the PD lately.

    You have a lot to say, and you're saying it very well. I can't begin to give you enough props for your honesty, your capable descriptions and your incisive narrative. Even though I know how the story turns out, I am still on the edge of my seat to see what happens next.

    May your remission continue. We need writers like you, writers who still engage in the physical act of writing, and who tell honest stories and tell them well. In a copypasted, spellchecked, auto-edited world, you're an original. Please let me know how it goes at the PD; if they can you, I'm cancelling our subscription.

    With best regards,

    - Celia

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sister died of lung cancer in 2008 about 3 weeks after diagnosis and actually worked until the day before diagnosis. She quit smoking about 2 years earlier but said nothing about that decision. She was in R.I. and we emailed back and forth all day long.I was a smoker until 85 and quitting was one of the hardest things I have ever done. Looking forward to your blog and I do not consider you an asshole either when we know better we do better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm here for the ride. Glad to hear you are cancer-free and hope you remain so. I look forward to reading your story. It hits home pretty hard for me, I lost my Dad to cigarette-related illness when I was 16 and ended a serious relationship when my sig other picked up again, after he had his first heart attack at only 47. I couldn't watch another one die. Your story needs to be told so we better understand the dangers, and that no one is immune or so tough that they will smoke and be "fine." Maybe you can change the "It can't happen to me mentality" that allows so many of us to keep our head in the sand.

    -Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you did not get discouraged by some editors to not publish your journal - that's the beauty of the internet.
    And do not be too hard on yourself when you were growing up in newsrooms smoking was an occupational hazard. I quit after Joe became seriously ill, partially due to smoking, and realized it was unfair of me to continue if he was forced to quit.
    But we lost Joe's Dad to lung cancer. He too grew up in a culture of smoking as a GI in WWII.
    Hope your progress continues to be positive. But don't beat up on yourself - that's the last thing you need to do in this fight.

    Mary Anne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mark, I’m so grateful I found the link to your blog that Connie Schultz posted on her Facebook page. I’m very grateful to you for writing it. You and I are about the same age and like you, I started smoking when I was a teenager. I’ve made many failed attempts at quitting, and I quit (yet again) last week. Thank you for being courageous enough to let us share your journey. I’ll be checking for updates and cheering you on. Your brutal honesty is exactly what I need to hear, and I wish you all the best. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mark, wonderful blog, having grown up in a family of smokers it takes courage to admit what harm we self inflict. Still trying to figure out that sex vs. smokes, I thought they were related :) Great to hear the latest news, keep up the fight. Tony

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mark, Your honesty has broght me to tears. I lost my father to lung cancer 42 yrs ago and this past Aug.lost 2 dear friends and in Oct. I lost my closest friend all to lung cancer. I had pleaded with my dearest friend to write a blog and she deleted all she wrote and no one will ever read the struggle and small joys she felt. Many friends have licked this dreaded disease by eating only "plant" food. Stay Positive and Strong, sending you White Healing Llght.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have read all of your blog to date. Thank you. I am being tested for pancreatic cancer and stumbled on your blog. It has helped.

    ReplyDelete